Monday, October 17, 2011

Our Association

I am loving my fellow police wives and our police wives association.  We had an awesome dinner out the other night.  It was sooo awesome to be around women who understand.. who don't look at you crooked or make the "hair face" (you know, that face every human being makes when cleaning out the hairbrush) when I talk about finding bullets in the cupholder of my car.. or uniforms with a million bits of notebook paper folded up with names like KiKi and a birthdate of 2/20/86.  Ya know, that could either be a victim of a crime or a stripper.. most of us p.o. wives know it's the former, not the latter.

It is so nice to be in the same room at least once a month with women who can say things like, "Grab my camera out of my purse for me - but watch out so my .380 doesn't fall out!".  Breath.Of.Fresh.Air.  Ahh.

This time of year is going to get very busy.  Lots of community outreach type of activities coming up.  It's going to be a lot of work, but a lot of fun.

My girls were there for me this week, the one I like to call HELL WEEK.. the last week of midnights.  The one that takes FOREVER and will not end. 

Hubs and I had a little spat but it was one that we both needed to have.  He came home at 7am and went straight to x-boxing (yes I made that verb up).  When he emerged at 10am I laid into him about how it would be nice if he actually came home and spent time with me BEFORE our house turns into wild kingdom.  He told me that he comes home wired after midnight shift and can't just lay down and relax.  "I can't just turn it off..."  He said it all indignant which pissed me off.  So I told him, "Oh-I'm sorry, as if I don't lie awake half the night worrying about you only for you to come home and go into your cave?!  It's not like I can just turn it off EITHER.  You may know what it's like to be a cop, but you have no idea what it's like to be a cop's wife."  It actually gave him pause.  He apologized, I apologized.. all was right in the world again. 

Midnights is the worst thing on earth for me.  I feel like time actually goes backwards.  His shifts change every 4 weeks and it is hardest for our family during midnights.

Thank God for my gals, the ones who understand, the ones who don't require explanation, the ones who go through the exact same things!!!

Our anniversary is Saturday.  My gift from him?  THE END OF MIDNIGHT SHIFT ON FRIDAY!!


1 comment:

  1. glad you have your group,and yup my hubs comes home at midnight too,spends a good hour unwinding as he calls it,drives me nuts-i want him to just come to bed so I can finally sleep good but NOPE!Oh well :)
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!What a great gift,hope you enjoyed it!thats a permanent shift for my man :(

    ReplyDelete