Monday, November 23, 2009

The Holidays... Eh

So this post is not meant to stick in anyone's craw. Just this little thing I go through around this time each year. Let me tell you a little something about me. I am not creative. I am not artistic. I am really not even thoughtful. I'd like to be all of these things, but the truth is.. I'm just not.

I don't see things in July and think they would make a wonderful Christmas gift for so and so. I don't fill my home with the joyful scent of all things baking. I decorate in the most basic way and it's not because I don't enjoy decorating. I just don't know how. I think I was born without that part of the brain.

On the rare occasion I do decide to decorate or what have you, the cat knocks the ornaments off the tree (it's my husband's cat.. ) or my kids destroy something or make a totally different use for these things. Like replacing baby Jesus with R2D2 in the nativity scene. (ok I don't actually own a nativity scene, but this IS something they would do if I did)

Does this make me a grinch?

I am not good at gift wrapping and I hate crowds of people. It gets all hot and nasty in the stores and you can hear people hacking and coughing and sneezing.. and hoards of people on cell phones talking too loud like they don't understand volume control. They step all in my personal space and overshare way more information than I ever wanted to know about a complete stranger. Fights over parking spaces, people wanting to return stuff for sale prices... need I go on?

If you really want to know me, my doormat says it all.

"Martha Stewart Doesn't Live Here"

Somebody say a little prayer for me that I can become a better "holiday" person. And yes, I did just put that in quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment